I can’t BREATH, when I go into a customers home that has the plug-in fresheners in every room to mask the pet odors.
Air fresheners emit about 100 different chemicals. Formaldehyde, being the number one along with these….petrochemicals, p-dichlorobenzene and aerosol pollutants [source: EPA].
Can pet odors be eliminated naturally?
Here are 6 tips to get rid of the pet odor.
- White vinegar. Pour 1 cup of distilled white vinegar and 2 cups of water into a spray or squirt top bottle. Shake before using. Use to clean and disinfect floor tiles, counters, litter box, and other pet items.
- Baking Soda.Sprinkle over pet bed, rug, or carpet. Leave powder on pet pillow or bedding for an hour and then vacuum. Leave on carpets for 15 to 30 minutes, and then vacuum.
- Fresh Bamboo Charcoal Air purifying bags work much like baking soda in eliminating pet odors. These small bags are filled with activated charcoal. These act as a deodorizer as well. No mess in sprinkling the charcoal.
- Vodka. Mix ¼ cup vodka, 1 cup water and 15 drops lavender essential oil in a spray bottle. Shake and spray lightly on pet bedding or use as a purifying air spray. Let dry completely before allowing pets to use.
- Borax. Sprinkle Mule Team® Borax (available where laundry detergents are sold) over pet bed or carpet. Once the powder has been applied, keep your pet(s) away from the bedding or carpet. Leave on bedding for one hour and vacuum. Leave on carpet for 15 to 30 minutes, and then vacuum. Bonus: Borax is effective against fleas. Borax should set on the carpet or area rugs overnight. Close off the room during treatment. If you have thick carpet, work the powder into the carpet with a broom, then vacuum.
- Azuna Fresh. This is in the gel form. All natural ingredient Tea Tree Oil. Just unscrew the top and place in high traffic areas. Last 60-90 days.
It’s always best to vacuum often. Wash the pet bed. Wash and brush pets. Keep the litter box clean.