We have been brain washed that bleach is the best way to whiten our clothes or to disinfect our kitchen counters.
Bleach emits hypochlorous acid (HOCl) and chlorine gas (Cl2) that can be dangerous. What else can we use that is a safer alternative?
- Lemon Juice – Adding one-quarter to one-half cup of lemon juice in place of bleach to your wash cycle will whiten clothing (it’s best to use lemon juice on cottons and polyester only). If your whites still are not bright enough, try mixing one-half cup of lemon juice to a gallon of hot water.
- Distilled White Vinegar – Make a bleach-like solution by combining 1/2 cup of vinegar, 1/2 cup of lemon juice, and 1 tablespoon of borax. Add this to your washing machine. You can also soak your clothes in this solution and a gallon of water.
- Baking Soda – For whites and colors, baking soda does double duty. When added to the washer, it makes whites whiter and brightens colored items.
- Hydrogen Peroxide- You can use hydrogen peroxide to whiten and brighten clothes, disinfect laundry, and remove stains. Pour it directly on stains such as blood. Add 1 cup of hydrogen peroxide to whites in the washing machine to brighten them.
- Oxygen Based -Bleach– Mix a solution of oxygen bleach and water following package directions and blot onto the stained area, trying not to oversaturate the surface.
- Solar Power – Solar power is the best natural bleach because the sun’s ultraviolet rays can whiten your clothes naturally. It works very well since ultraviolet rays disinfect fabrics and at the same time brightens and removes stains from your white clothes.
Seagreennaturalcleaning.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com